MONROE, Conn. -- A family of four escaped a house fire on Old Tannery Road in Monroe early Thursday morning thanks to their working smoke detector, fire officials said.
The Monroe Volunteer Fire Department responded to the call at around 2:22 a.m. Upon arrival, smoke was visible from the structure, and the family had safely evacuated.
Firefighters rescued a cat from the fire, and police and EMS administered oxygen and returned the cat to the family, fire officials said.
Further investigation revealed an active basement fire, which the firefighters were able to keep contained to the basement through an aggressive interior attack. The rest of the house suffered smoke damage, and is not inhabitable, fire officials said.
Operations on scene involved 22 firefighters, under the command of Monroe Assistant Chief Kevin Catalano. The Stevenson and Stepney Fire Departments, along with the White Hills Department in Shelton, provided automatic aid. Departments from Trumbull and Newtown provided station coverage for additional calls while Monroe units were at the scene.
Fire Marshal Bill Davin credited the working smoke alarm for saving the family, who were all asleep in the bedroom directly above the area of the basement that was on fire. Davin said that without working smoke detectors, the outcome of this fire could have been much different. Residents are reminded to test their smoke detectors monthly and change the batteries a minimum of twice a year.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.