EASTON/REDDING, Conn. -- The Joel Barlow High School debate team earned top marks Saturday, in discussing the question of whether parents have the right to opt their kids out of standardized testing, according to the Easton Courier.
Joel Barlow serves Easton and Redding.
Students (junior co-captains) Gabby Colangelo and Bryan Coppinger and Franklin Speck and Dylan Tonken ended with the highest-scoring undefeated records of the competition, according to the newspaper. Sophomores Melani Zuckerman and Cara Krupnikoff-Salkin were undefeated again in the second consecutive event, the story said.
The following sophomores and juniors went 2-1:
- Olivia Bass, Ella Chen, Jenna Thoretz, Elizabeth Hayman, Anderson Tittle, Niki Edupuganti, Joe Laske, Max Matejka, Branden Fernandes and Will Rief.
- Varsity sophomores Ella Gaspar and Katherine Wright won round one against Masuk.
The following are the novice results:
- Sophomores Ryan Costenbader and Nathan DeMelis went 2-1: Costenbader finished fifth speaker and earned 28 points in round three
- Sophomore Oliver Tonken and freshman Anna Speck, 2-1
- Sophomores Aam Boczar and Adam Farmer, 2-1
- Freshmen Nate Laske and Benny Viselli scored a bye in round three.
- Sophomore novices Dileka Gunawardana and Caitlyn Colangelp, 1-2, placed in top 10
- Freshmen Daniel Trimble and Joseph Redmond won over Wethersfield in round one.
Read the full article here.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.