Contact Us
Trumbull-Monroe Daily Voice serves Easton, Monroe, Redding & Trumbull

Menu

Trumbull-Monroe Daily Voice serves Easton, Monroe, Redding & Trumbull

Nearby Towns

police & fire

Smoke Detectors Awaken Residents Of Burning Home In Trumbull

Crews from the Long Hill Fire Department respond to an overnight blaze at a home on Bittersweet Lane in Trumbull.
Crews from the Long Hill Fire Department respond to an overnight blaze at a home on Bittersweet Lane in Trumbull. Photo Credit: Long Hill Fire Department
Crews from the Long Hill Fire Department respond to an overnight blaze at a home on Bittersweet Lane in Trumbull.
Crews from the Long Hill Fire Department respond to an overnight blaze at a home on Bittersweet Lane in Trumbull. Photo Credit: Long Hill Fire Department
Crews from the Long Hill Fire Department respond to an overnight blaze at a home on Bittersweet Lane in Trumbull.
Crews from the Long Hill Fire Department respond to an overnight blaze at a home on Bittersweet Lane in Trumbull. Photo Credit: Long Hill Fire Department
Crews from the Long Hill Fire Department respond to an overnight blaze at a home on Bittersweet Lane in Trumbull.
Crews from the Long Hill Fire Department respond to an overnight blaze at a home on Bittersweet Lane in Trumbull. Photo Credit: Long Hill Fire Department

TRUMBULL, Conn. — The occupants of a home on Bittersweet Lane in Trumbull avoided possible serious injuries after they were awakened by smoke detectors, according to fire officials.

Fire crews were dispatched at 1:43 a.m.  Monday for the house fire, said a statement from Alex Rauso Jr., chief of the Long Hill Fire Department.

Firefighters entered the house and found a fire in the basement, Rauso said. The blaze, which was contained to the basement, was quickly extinguished, he said.

The fire appeared to be caused by a dehumidifier in the basement, Rauso said. The Trumbull Fire Marshal's office was continuing to investigate.

This was the second fire in town in four days involving a dehumidifier, he said.

Firefighters remained at the scene to perform salvage and overhaul operations. The last fire units cleared the scene at about 6:30 a.m.

One occupant of the home was transported to the hospital for observation; no firefighters were injured.

The Long Hill Fire Department reminds all residents of the importance of working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.

“Had the residents not had working smoke detectors the outcome to the fire may have been tragic, smoke detectors save lives," a statement said.

Five engines, one ladder truck and two rescue trucks responded, along with mutual aid from Trumbull Center, Nichols and Stepney fire departments. Additional units from Shelton provided standby coverage in town.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Trumbull-Monroe Daily Voice!

Serves Easton, Monroe, Redding & Trumbull

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.