Contact Us
Trumbull-Monroe Daily Voice serves Easton, Monroe, Redding & Trumbull

Menu

Trumbull-Monroe Daily Voice serves Easton, Monroe, Redding & Trumbull

Nearby Towns

police & fire

Officials Say Electrical Wiring Caused Monroe House Fire

Electrical wiring in the basement is being blamed for the fire that destroyed this Hammertown Road house in Monroe, Conn.
Electrical wiring in the basement is being blamed for the fire that destroyed this Hammertown Road house in Monroe, Conn. Photo Credit: Monroe Fire Department

MONROE, Conn. -- Basement electrical wiring is reportedly being blamed for the fire that caused destruction of an historic house in Monroe early Sunday , Fire Marshal William Davin told the Monroe Courier.

The fire broke out shortly after 5 a.m. Sunday at the two-story, red brick house on Hammertown Road. The home was built in the late 1700s and reportedly had ties to the Underground Railroad. Nobody was injured during the fire, according to the Monroe Courier.

Davin told the Monroe Courier that the fire started inside wooden beams and spread to the attic.

Click here to read the full report on the Monroe Courier.

Welcome to

Trumbull-Monroe Daily Voice!

Serves Easton, Monroe, Redding & Trumbull

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.