Contact Us
Trumbull-Monroe Daily Voice serves Easton, Monroe, Redding & Trumbull
Return to your home site

Menu

Trumbull-Monroe Daily Voice serves Easton, Monroe, Redding & Trumbull

Nearby Towns

police & fire

Candle Ignites Holiday Decor At Monroe Home

Firefighter Catalano inspects the damage.  The extinguisher pictured here was used by the homeowner to put the blaze out before it caused significant damage
Firefighter Catalano inspects the damage. The extinguisher pictured here was used by the homeowner to put the blaze out before it caused significant damage Photo Credit: Monroe Volunteer Fire Department
Firefighters returning equipment to Engine-Rescue 203
Firefighters returning equipment to Engine-Rescue 203 Photo Credit: Monroe Volunteer Fire Department

MONROE, Conn. -- A holiday candle set fire to decorations on the porch of a Monroe home Monday night, according to the Monroe Volunteer Fire Department.

Firefighters were called to a home on Wheeler Road just after midnight for an activated fire alarm. While they were en route, the owners called 911 saying that they had a fire on the front porch that they believed to be out.

Firefighters confirmed that a holiday candle was inadvertently left lit on the porch, which ignited holiday decorations near the front door. This resulted in a fire on the front wall that was hot enough to shatter a window and melt materials inside the foyer, fire officials said. Firefighters checked for fire extension, vented smoke from the house and performed overhaul for about an hour.

Fire officials said there is an increase in accidental fires this time of year due to candles and holiday decorations, among other causes.

"However, this was also a great example of adults and a child escaping injury and avoiding a major loss," the Monroe Volunteer Fire Department said. "First, the home was equipped with smoke alarms and a monitored alarm system which sounded, alerted the family, and allowed them to quickly evacuate during the night, while summoning the fire department. Second, the owner had a working fire extinguisher (as seen in photo) which he very capably deployed on the fire from a safe distance and put out the growing fire in a matter of seconds."

No one was injured, and the damage was repairable and isolated to the front entrance area of the home.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Trumbull-Monroe Daily Voice!

Serves Easton, Monroe, Redding & Trumbull

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.