BRIDGEPORT, Conn. — The case against a former student at Sacred Heart University who falsely claimed that two football players raped her will go to trial, according to the Connecticut Post.
Nikki Yovino, 19, from Long Island, rejected a second plea offer on Wednesday, the Post said.
Her lawyer, Ryan O’Neill, told the Post that he is "eager" to get "the whole story of what happened and didn’t happen at that party" told in court.
Superior Court Judge Maureen Dennis set a tentative trial date of Feb. 21, the Post said.
Yovino is charged with filing a false report and tampering with evidence and could face up to six years in prison if convicted.
In October 2016, she reported that she had been raped by SHU football players at a house party. Police said the allegations turned out to be false, and that she had had consensual sex with the two students.
She had made up the sexual assault story because she did not want to lose another student as a friend and potential boyfriend, according to police.
Neither Yovino nor the two football players are students at SHU any longer.
Click here for the story at the Connecticut Post.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.