TRUMBULL, Conn. -- Nine Connecticut Crossfit gyms are working together to help a Trumbull toddler with a rare genetic disorder.
One-year-old Cameron "Cam" Simpson has Alternating Hemiplegia of Childhood or AHC. It is characterized by recurrent attacks of temporary paralysis, stiffness, and unusual eye movements. There is currently no cure for AHC.
The gyms on Saturday, Feb. 25, and Tuesday, Feb. 28, will compete in "the Cam" workout to raise funds for AHC Foundation.
The organization strives to develop research for effective treatments and find a cure for AHC.
The Cam workout or “WOD” has been designed by Cam's cousin Molly McMugh, of SOSF in Fairfield.
It challenges the teams to do 19 repetitions of a variety of exercises and to do it as many times as possible in 19 minutes. Why 19?
Cameron’s mother Corie Simpson explains. “Nineteen is the number of the chromosome that is mutated in Cam’s genetic makeup and in those that suffer from AHC.”
"Cam is a happy little 1-year-old boy that is literally one in a million, as the prevalence rate of the mutation is one in a million. He adores his older brother Tyler and he and his family enjoy life in Connecticut as much as possible. But with Cameron suffering from the rare AHC, life can be hard to predict."
“AHC presents itself in the form of an episode that can last a few minutes, days or even weeks. There is no way to predict an episode and no cure for the disorder," said Simpson.
"Cam, at only one-year-old, is living with something that none of us knew even existed. It’s great to see the Crossfit community come out and compete to help Cam and help to find a cure," said McHugh.
To participate, contact one of the following gyms:
- Hybrid Athletics, Bridgeport at www.hybridathletics.com
- Crossfit KMK, Fairfield at www.crossfitkmk.com
- SOSF, Fairfield at www.sosfairfield.com
- Down Under Fitness, Fairfield at www.downunderfitness.net
- Crossfit Expressions, Stratford at www.crossfitexpressions.com
- Crossfit TriTown, Monroe at www.crossfittritown.com
- Crossfit Stamford, Stamford at www.crossfitstamford.com
- Crossfit Norwalk, Norwalk at www.crossfitnorwalk.com